Thursday, August 30, 2012

Andrew Lloyd Webber's Phantom of the Opera in CCP, Manila

Photo from Philippineconcerts.com
(Because I find myself inlove, again, with a fictional character)

It's been a day since I saw Phantom of the Opera at CCP, and yet I still find myself singing Music Of The Night to myself before going to bed, thoughts of the Phantom floating in my head.

I watched the Andrew Lloyd Webber version of The Phantom of the Opera for the first time in film. Directed by Joel Schumacher and starring Emily Rossum and Gerard Butler, the movie came alive in my head– and so did the Phantom. In my search for other materials that could satisfy my curiosity for the fictional masked monster, I picked up Gaston Leroux's Le Fantome de l'Opera, the book where everything was based on. I read a story about a Phantom who had no nose and smelled of death pining for the heroine Christine who fell inlove with Raoul, a feminine mama's boy. I was disappointed at the book's lack of romanticism and thus ended my love for the Phantom.



Until last night.

The CCP play presented by Lunchbox Theatrical Productions was very similar to the movie shown in 2004, both were Andrew Lloyd Webber's version.

5 minutes in the production and I had goosebumps. The live orchestra was an experience in itself. But then, the story unfolded and then came my favorite part– Music of the Night with the Christine (Claire Lyon) and the Phantom (Jonathan Roxmouth) and I almost cried. The stage was set so perfectly as they crossed the lake to the Phantom's lair, the candles, the lights, and the smoke made everything look so realistic, it was hard to imagine everything was happening in a play.

I almost cried (again) when time came for All I Ask Of You and the Phantom's rooftop scene, and I did cry at the end, as Christine left him for the final time.

So I find myself, again, wondering why Christine chose Raoul (Anthony Downing) over the Phantom. And I find myself, again, aching for this fictional character.

screenshot from http://mademoiselledechagny.tumblr.com

And, since I am nursing my Phantom obsession, here is a photo of Jonathan Roxmouth as Phantom.


Taken from his FB page
Tickets are on sale on Ticketworld. Make sure to check out the student discounts!

And seriously, I would have chosen the Phantom (curse that little lying Delilah).



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment to let me know what you think!